Man accused of shooting at community activist: ‘I just want this all to be over’

Posted at 2:51 PM, Aug 24, 2015
and last updated 2015-08-26 06:32:49-04

Norfolk, Va. - Two fugitives wanted in connection to a recent shooting have been arrested, according to Norfolk Police.

50-year-old Isaiah Walter Wilson and 22-year-old Kevon Danarus Whitehurst were both taken into custody on Monday by the Norfolk Police Fugitive Unit along with assistance from the United States Marshal's Office Task Force.

Both men are believed to be responsible for a shooting that took place August 10th in the 3000 block of East Princess Anne.


Isaiah Walter Wilson, 50, (left) and Kevon Danarus Whitehurst, 22, (right)

The shooting reportedly involved local activist Michael Muhammad. In a post to his Facebook page, Muhammad says he was in the vehicle with the victim of the shooting when it occurred.

That victim suffered serious injuries but was last reported to be stable.

Kevon Whitehurst spoke to NewsChannel 3 last week and admitted that he shot someone, but claimed it was in self-defense. He says someone from Muhammad's car fired at him first.  Police have not confirmed this.

Whitehurst spoke to NewsChannel 3 from jail after appearing in front of a judge Tuesday.

Whitehurst and 50-year-old Isaiah Wilson are accused of malicious wounding from a shooting that happened on August 10th on Princess Anne Road in Norfolk.

"I just want this all to be over, and I want the people to know exactly what happened,” said Whitehurst.

Muhammad denies firing a gun.

“The Norfolk Police have never identified me as a suspect nor have they identified anyone in my vehicle as a suspect in any crime,” said Muhammad.

Again we checked in with Norfolk Police Tuesday about this case. We asked them if there are any other suspects involved in this shooting.

They said detectives have not ruled out any possibilities. They had no comment about a car they took into custody on Friday.

Whitehurst claims it's the car he was in when shots were fired at him. It appears to have bullets holes in it.

Wilson and Whitehurst were on the run for two weeks. Yesterday police brought them into custody. We interviewed Whitehurst while he was on the run.

At first he told us he was going to turn himself in, but didn't. We asked him why today.

“I was waiting to get my lawyer situated and waiting to get my money to get my lawyer situation.  That is why I didn’t turn myself in,” said Whitehurst.

Both sides said it was a dispute between Muhammad's son and Wilson's son that started the fighting. That escalated later in the day with a shooting that left one man with serious injuries.

Leaders with the Salvation Army's Kroc Center, located across the street from where the shooting took place, told NewsChannel 3 they handed surveillance video over to police.

“Forensics should be able to tell them, the cameras should be able to tell them who shot first, and who did what and what happened,” said Whitehurst.

There are two groups of people telling two different stories. Now both demanding justice and both are saying they fear retaliation from the other side.


Wanted fugitive speaks only to NewsChannel 3; Says Norfolk shooting was self defense

Muhammad to Norfolk Police: ‘Do your damn job’

Two men wanted for shooting in Norfolk