Man ordered to serve 13 years in prison for shooting at Virginia Beach party

Posted at 4:16 PM, Apr 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-13 16:16:42-04

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – John Willie Parker Jr. was sentenced Wednesday for malicious wounding, use of firearm, four counts of shooting from a vehicle and four counts of maliciously shooting at an occupied building.

A judge sentenced Parker, 25, to 21 years in prison. Eight years will be suspended, leaving Parker 13 years to serve. He must also pay $1,354.55 in restitution.

The Commonwealth’s Attorney says on April 20, 2014, Parker and some friends went to a party in the College Park neighborhood in Virginia Beach. Parker and his friends were asked to leave the party after an argument  ensued. Parker and his friend got into a red car.

As Parker and his friends were leaving the party, the victim arrived at the party and began to talk to some friends out front. The victim, who did not know Parker or his friends, saw a red car making a u-turn and heading back in the direction of the party. He says he saw sparks coming from the car. As he tried to run into the house, Parker shot him in the back. The victim survived the shooting but still has a bullet lodged in his back.

Moments after the shooting, a couple left a friend’s home further park in the neighborhood. They noticed a red car stopped on the side of the road near the shooting, which they thought was unusual. As they passed the car, Parker began shooting at them. The couple sped off to the nearest gas station. The red car drove away in a different direction. Several cars and homes in the area were hit with bullets. Police found multiple shell casings at the scene.

Later that night, a red car showed up at Sentara Princess Anne Hospital with a passenger suffering from a gunshot wound. The red car had several bullet holes in it. Parker came to the hospital with the injured passenger and was interviewed by police. He said he was at the party and left after getting into an argument. Parker said people from the party were firing at him and he fired back. Police say forensic evidence proved Parker fired first. He drove with police to his home and gave them two guns he used in the shooting that night.

Parker has a prior conviction for unlawful wounding.