News

Actions

Retired Chesapeake police officer dies in weekend fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 6:37 AM, Nov 12, 2012
and last updated 2012-11-12 20:06:06-05

Crews were not able to save a man trapped inside a house that caught fire in Chesapeake over the weekend.

Neighbors saw flames shooting through the roof of the home on Indiana Avenue around 10 p.m. Sunday night.

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to get the flames under control.

According to Capt. Saunders with the Chesapeake Fire Department, the cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, caused by candles.  They say the victim was the only one home at the time. 

By the time firefighters got there, he was already deceased.