News

Actions

Officials say furnace caused Newport News house fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 2:16 PM, Feb 05, 2013
and last updated 2013-02-05 14:16:19-05

DSCF5801Newport News, Va. – Fire crews responded to reports of a house fire in the 700 Block of Wilderness Way in the North End of the city on Tuesday morning, officials tell NewsChannel 3.

The call came in at 10:52 a.m. Tuesday morning. Crews arrived approximately six minutes later to find heavy smoke coming from the attic area of a two-story home.

Firefighters immediately began searching the home and attacking the fire.

All occupants were able to safely exit the home on their own, but two were evaluated by medics, officials say.

One occupant was transported to Mary Immaculate Hospital for evaluation of a medical condition. The other individual was evaluated at the scene.

The cause of the fire is being attributed to a problem with the furnace, which was located in the attic. The preliminary damage estimate is around $35,000.

The home was condemned; the five occupants will be staying with other family members.

There were no injuries to firefighters reported.

The Fire Department would like to remind residents that smoke detectors save lives. An operating smoke detector will provide an early notification that there is a fire.

Test your detectors monthly and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on when and if to change the batteries.

The NNFD will install free smoke detectors for any Newport News homeowner. Please call the “Smoke Detector Hotline” at 926-8009 to make arrangements.