News

Actions

Children playing with candle start apartment building fire in Smithfield

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 4:35 PM, Mar 09, 2013
and last updated 2013-03-09 19:04:59-05

Smithfield, Va. - A fire started by two children playing with a candle heavily damaged an apartment building in Smithfield on Friday.

Fire officials say the blaze started around 5:30 pm in an apartment building at 747 Wren Road.

The fire started in an upstairs unit and there were heavy flames on the second floor when units arrived. The blaze spread to a second upstairs unit and the attic.

The two upstairs units were a complete loss and two downstairs units sustained significant structural and water damage.