News

Actions

Man hospitalized, home condemned after Newport News fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 10:13 AM, May 13, 2013
and last updated 2013-05-13 10:13:38-04

Newport News, Va. – One man was hospitalized early this morning after a fire broke out in a home on Thalia Drive in the Denbigh section of Newport News.

Fire crews responded to a 2:10am 911 call to find smoke coming out of the one-story home and were able to bring the fire under control within sixteen minutes.

The man initially tried to put the fire out after being alerted by a smoke detector, but was forced to flee to a neighbors house. He suffered smoke inhalation and cuts as he was escaping and was transported to the Riverside Hospital in serious condition.

Most of the fire damage to the home was contained to a kitchen, but there is smoke damage throughout the home. The preliminary estimate for the damage is around $30,000. The fire has been ruled as an accidental fire due to unattended cooking.

The home is being condemned. No injuries to fire personnel were reported.