Man wanted in Portsmouth captured after nearly 2-year manhunt

Posted at 12:02 AM, Jul 04, 2013

UPDATE: Lenard Tyrone Davis, aka "Jelly," was captured on March 12th in Conway, South Carolina after a nearly two year manhunt. Davis had numerous outstanding felony warrants from Portsmouth, to include: Attempted Malicious Wounding (five counts), and Hit & Run (one count). 

After Davis could not be found by local authorities, the Portsmouth Police Department requested assistance from the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force in April 2014. 

Over the course of their investigation, they tracked Jelly to South Carolina and a family that has ties to Portsmouth. 

On the morning of March 12th, 2015, the U.S. Marshals in South Carolina went to the address Jelly was believed to be hiding out at, on Shady Moss Court within the city of Conway. Shortly after approaching the residence, Deputy Marshals observed Jelly inside when the front door was opened. Seeing that the house was surrounded by U.S. Marshals and that he had nowhere to run, Davis submitted and was taken into custody without incident, bringing the two year manhunt to an end.

Davis is currently being held at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center in Conway, South Carolina, awaiting extradition to Portsmouth.

Portsmouth, Va. - Portsmouth police say a fugitive went to great lengths to get away.

Lenard Tyrone Davis, 55, is accused of causing a violent scene and leaving a path of destruction behind at a local auto shop.

In January, witnesses say Davis was in the back parking lot of Joe's Tires trying to peel inspection stickers off cars.

When he was confronted, police say he jumped into his car.

The owner of Joe's Tires says Davis destroyed the gate when he tore through it.

That's why he's charged with destruction of property and hit and run as well as larceny.

But police are most concerned with how close he came to taking out the witnesses.

So, add to those charges, attempted assault.

The Portsmouth fugitive unit has been looking for Davis for more than six months and they think he's still in the area.

He goes by the street name Jelly.

If you know anything, call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.