NELSON COUNTY, Va. – An order has been signed by a judge to bar media from Randy Taylor’s bonding hearing Thursday afternoon.
This is after Anthony Martin, the Nelson County Commonwealth’s Attorney, filed a motion to close the hearing, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
48-year-old Taylor is charged with abduction in the case of missing 17-year-old Alexis Murphy.
Cameras were allowed in the courtroom last week for Taylor’s first court hearing.
Legal expert, Ed Riley told WTVR it’s not unusual for the media to be banned from Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, which is the courtroom Taylor will be in on Thursday in Nelson County.
“It surprises me more that the reporters were in the courtroom as opposed to being restricted from the courtroom,” said Riley.
But with law enforcement and Murphy’s parents using the media to continue to ask for help, WTVR asked Riley if the ruling to close the hearing is a conflicting message.
“This judge might be very well sitting there thinking if I let the media circus, if you will, continue then this may jeopardize his ability to get a fair trial,” said Riley.