Newport News, Va. – Crews responded to a house fire in the 100 block of Parkway Drive at 2:35 p.m. Friday afternoon.
Officials say they arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the home.
They say a smoke detector alerted the resident, who was able to leave the home before fire crews arrived.
The fire appears to be accidental and appears to have started in the kitchen area.
The home suffered heavy smoke and heat damage to the lower floor and smoke damage to the second floor.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for more updates.