News

Actions

Family of five displaced after dryer causes fire in Norfolk home

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 10:17 PM, Jan 02, 2014
and last updated 2014-01-02 23:36:57-05

Norfolk, Va. - A family of five, two adults and three children, are without a home after a dryer caused a fire inside of their Norfolk home on Thursday night.

Rescue crews received calls about the fire at around 9:06 p.m.

Officials say this happened in the 4900 block of Atterbury Street. Witnesses told fire crews that they saw smoke coming from the home.

When crews arrived, they reported smoke coming from the back of the home. Firefighters searched the home and they were able to put the flames out by 9:35 p.m.

Officials have determined that the fire was accidental. They say it was caused by a dryer in the utility room of the home.

No one was home at the time and no one was injured.

The family is receiving help from the Red Cross.