News

Actions

UPDATE: Hampton Fire Marshals determine cause of fire that hospitalized two

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:10 PM, Jan 08, 2014
and last updated 2014-01-09 11:38:10-05

Hampton, Va. - Two women had to be taken to the hospital after a fire broke out inside of a Hampton home on Wednesday evening.

Fire officials tell NewsChannel 3 this happened in the 1400 block of East Pembroke Avenue. Emergency crews were notified at around 6:43 p.m.

They were able to rescue one woman from a back bedroom. Rescuers started emergency medical care on the woman and she was then flown to Sentara Norfolk General for possible respiratory injuries.

Another woman was also taken to the hospital for evaluation. She was transported by ambulance. There's no word yet on her condition.

The Hampton Fire Marshal's office determined through their investigation that the fire originated in the kitchen after a juvenile in the house lit some combustible materials with a lighter and placed them in a trash can. He then alerted other family members of the fire.

Five people have been displaced, and the Red Cross has been requested for assistance.