This weekend is the 6th Annual She Crab Soup Competition in Virginia Beach.
Today on Foodie Friday, we are showing you how to make amazing She Crab soup - at home!
Home chefs, do you know what mirepoix means? Well, apparently it is crucial to the amazing She Crab soup recipe that we are sharing today!
The chefs from Mannino's Italian Bistro are joining us today to show us how it's done. They are the winners of last year's competition.
They are defending their title this year at the 6th Annual She Crab Competition.
Chef/Owner: John M. Mannino
Chef: Carlos Rodriguez
Restaurant: Mannino's Italian Bistro of Virginia Beach & Portsmouth
Here is the event info:
6th Annual East Coast She Crab Classic
Saturday, April 26, Noon - 3 p.m.
24th Street Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Participating restaurants include (alphabetically):
1. 328 Tequila Lounge
2. C.P. Shuckers
3. Freemason Abbey
4. Keagan’s Irish Pub & Restaurant
5. Lucky Oyster Seafood Grill
6. Lynnhaven Fish House
7. Mahi Mah's Seafood
8. Mannino’s Italian Bistro
9. McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant
10. Murphy’s Irish Pub
11. Passion The Restaurant
13. Roger Brown's Restaurant & Sports Bar
16. Westminster Canterbury
*** Final lineup of restaurants is subject to change***
Participating Critic’s Choice judges are (alphabetically):
1. Sonja Barisic The Virginian-Pilot
2. Lorraine Eaton The Virginian-Pilot
3. Patrick Evans-Hylton Hampton Roads Magazine
4. David Nicholson The Daily Press
Virginia Crab Soup Recipe
2T 90/10 blended oil
3 med-large fresh Virginia blue crab cleaned 4oz celery rough chopped 4oz onion rough chopped
1 med carrot peeled and rough chopped
1c white wine
2c cream sherry
3qt heavy whipping cream
6oz old bay
1T Texas Pete
Roux (5oz melted butter mixed with 5 oz al purpose flour) 2# crab meat
Method of cooking:
1. In a large pot over medium heat sautée live crabs and mire poix (onions,carrots,celery) until onions are translucent approximately 2 minutes.
2. Add white wine and cream sherry and reduce by 50% 3. Add water and reduce by 50% 4. Add heavy whipping cream and bring to a scald.
5. Add roux and whisk thoroughly and add old bay and Texas Pete 6. Allow the soup to thicken to desired consistency.
8. Add crab meat and enjoy