Virginia Beach, Va. – Two men are facing charges for impersonating a law enforcement officer in Virginia Beach.
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 Virginia Beach Police arrested 24-year-old Matthew Storm Marshburn of the 800 block of 14th Street in Virginia Beach, and 27-year-old Brian Keith Cope of the 1500 block of Virginia Beach Boulevard. Both have been charged with one count each of Impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer.
It happened on Friday, October 24, 2014 in the 800 block of 13th Street. Witnesses and victims told police the two suspects, who were dressed in civilian attire, stopped them, displayed badges, and identified themselves as police officers.
If you have doubts that the person is a Law Enforcement Officer, here are some tips from police:
• All Law Enforcement Officers carry photo identification with their badges, and are required to display them if asked. Citizens are encouraged to ask for identification.
• Do not be afraid to have the officer hold up his badge and ID so that you can read it. Take the time to read them and look for the agency name and officer’s name.
• Do not be afraid to advise the officer that you intend to call dispatch and verify the officers identity.
• Ask for a marked patrol unit to respond. Ask where they work and for their supervisor’s name
• Remember, if it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Your safety is most important.
The following statement comes from the Virginia Beach Police Department:
“The Virginia Beach Police Department takes these types of cases seriously and will do everything we can to maintain the trust with our community that we’ve worked hard to build.”