James City County Fire units were able to quickly extinguish a small fire that broke out Wednesday morning inside a McDonald’s restaurant at 4521 John Tyler Highway.
Units arrived on scene at 6:39 a.m. to find smoke inside the business and a small fire in the area of a cooking appliance.
The fire was contained by the restaurant’s automatic fire suppression system until fire crews could full extinguish the fire at 6:46 a.m.
The extent of the fire was determined to involve the cooking appliance only with minor smoke damage to the building.
James City County Fire officials have requested that the Health Department respond prior to reopening the business and have determined the cause of the fire to be a malfunction with the cooking appliance.
James City County Fire units remained on the scene until 7:36 a.m. checking for any additional fire damage. The fire was initially reported by an employee of the restaurant. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries.