News

Actions

Arson ruled as cause of thrift store fire on Christmas Day in Newport News

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 3:33 PM, Dec 25, 2014
and last updated 2014-12-31 16:33:53-05

Newport News, Va. - Newport News Fire officials have ruled arson as the cause of the two-alarm fire at the DAV Thrift Store early Christmas Day.

Police and Fire units responded to the thrift store at 15265 Warwick Boulevard just before 2:30 a.m. and were able to extinguish the fire.

The fire damaged the exterior wall and the property stored inside the store.

A Newport News firefighter was briefly hospitalized for heat exhaustion after battling the fire. No other injuries were reported.

An unknown male, in his late teens or early twenties, wearing dark clothing and a dark skull cap was captured on surveillance video at the rear of the business just prior to the fire.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asking to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

Additional updates will be posted as they become available.