Crews put out kitchen fire in Norfolk home

Posted at 6:38 AM, Jan 05, 2015
and last updated 2015-01-05 14:08:34-05

Norfolk, Va. - Two residents of a Norfolk home have a smoke alarm to thank after escaping from a kitchen fire.

Fire crews were dispatched to the blaze on Wyoming Avenue at 5:03 a.m. They found the pair already outside of the house and smoke showing from the first floor.

The fire was located in the kitchen and was confined to that room.

22 firefighters responded to the call, and the cause was found to be an extension cord that was improperly used.

No civilians or firefighters were injured, and the occupants declined assistance from Red Cross.