Space heater causes fire that displaces 3 residents in Hampton

Posted at 12:23 PM, Jan 22, 2015
and last updated 2015-01-22 12:24:16-05

Hampton, Va. – Three residents were displaced by a house fire that occurred late Wednesday night in their Hampton home.

Hampton Fire and Rescue responded to the one-story residence fire in the 1100 block of Parkside Avenue just after 9:30 p.m.

Fire crews reported seeing moderate smoke and fire coming from the rear of the home.

The residents were home at the time of the fire and were alerted by the smell of smoke. All managed to escape without injury.

The fire was contained and extinguished in under 30 minutes. The residence sustained fire damage to the living room, one bedroom, and smoke damage throughout the home.

The fire has been investigated and determined to be accidental. The cause of the fire was a space heater placed too close to combustible material.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the three residents displaced by the fire.