Job Title: Digital Control Technician
Station: WTKR WGNT TV
Reports to: DOC Operations Manager
Purpose/reason for this Position:
The primary focus of the Digital Control Technician is to insure accurate operation of remote computer terminal equipment controlling station video servers and automation systems at multiple locations. The responsibilities will include signal monitoring, network monitoring, and the ability to trouble shoot technical difficulties utilizing remote control.
Core Job Functions:
- Operates video servers and automation system.
- Monitors signal quality.
- Operates the television transmitters via remote control. Maintains modulations levels within FCC regulations. Notifies maintenance personnel immediately of any transmitter parameters which are outside of FCC specifications.
- Performs the duties of the master control operator by switching the on-air signals in accordance with the station log: & monitoring the level and quality of all on-air signals.
- Operates switching equipment via remote control.
- Bypasses defective equipment by switching around the problem and notifies maintenance personnel.
- Maintains signal quality in accordance with good engineering practices, station policy and FCC regulations.
- Writes time sensitive discrepancy reports and procedural documentation.
- Interprets network schedules and timing information.
- Operates satellite receive systems.
- Works shift schedules without guarantee of a particular shift.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of the theory of television, FCC regulations regarding technical standards, and transmitter operation. Ability to evaluate technical performance by viewing picture monitors, waveform monitors, and meters. Ability to make decisions and react quickly in order to respond to last minute program changes and equipment malfunctions. Have a good sense of timing in order to back-time programs and pre-roll broadcast equipment. Excellent verbal communication and telephone skills a must. Competent computer skills required. Excellent writing skills are necessary. Experience in automation and video server technology a plus. Ability to handle multiple evolving situations at the same time is essential. Must be detailed oriented. Ability to anticipate potential issues and to successfully resolve the issues before an on-air mistake occurs. Problem solving ability and quick decisions under high stress at times are required. Ability to communicate well with co-workers in team environment.
A minimum of two years related broadcast experience preferred.
Ability to reach and manipulate all operating controls on the technical equipment. Manual dexterity to operate the small push buttons and rotary switches and keyboards on equipment. Good eyesight and hearing for monitoring and reporting of commercial and program quality. Good eyesight for reading and interpreting program logs, network timing information, reports and computer screens. Ability to operate various computer programs. Ability to lift and transport computer paper, equipment and other materials up to 20 pounds or more. Ability to climb four flights of stairs.