Electrical malfunction causes fire at Hampton home

Posted at 4:35 PM, Feb 06, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-06 16:35:33-05

Hampton, Va. – Thankfully a family of four is safe after a fire broke out inside of their Hampton home on Friday.

Fire crews were called out to the 3600 block of Victoria Boulevard.

When they arrived, they found moderate smoke showing from the second story windows on the front and back of the home.

The fire was contained to a bedroom on the second level and crews were able to put it out within 10 minutes.

The room sustained moderate smoke, fire and water damage.

The Red Cross is now helping the family.

Fire officials say the flames were caused by  an electrical malfunction in the electrical wall outlet in the room.

There was a working smoke detector in the home.