Rena B. Wright Primary School in Chesapeake evacuated due to burning odor

Posted at 8:39 AM, Feb 06, 2015
and last updated 2015-02-06 13:37:04-05

Chesapeake, Va. - Rena B. Wright Primary School in Chesapeake was evacuated Friday morning due to a burning odor, according to Captain Saunders of the Chesapeake Fire Department.

The call came in at 7:41 a.m. on Friday, February 6, 2015. The school is located in the 600 block of Park Avenue in Chesapeake.

Fire crews and police responded to the scene. An odor of burning rubber was detected in room 111, officials say.

The school was evacuated.

No injuries have been reported. The cause of the odor has been determined to be a malfunctioning rooftop HVAC unit. The students and staff were allowed back into the school just before 8:30 a.m.

Check back on for updates.