Electrical fire displaces nine adults in Newport News

Posted at 4:49 PM, Apr 01, 2015
and last updated 2015-04-01 16:49:12-04

Newport News, Va. – Nine adults were displaced from six apartment units after a fire in the Denbigh section of the city on Wednesday afternoon.

Around 1:22 p.m., the Newport News Fire Department was called to the 13300 block of Preakness Drive for an electrical problem in the panel box. When they arrived, they found that the electrical meter base had overheated.

While firefighters were waiting for Dominion Virginia Power to arrive and disconnect the power, there was a failure and the panel box that caused it to catch on fire.

The firefighters were able to control the fire quickly.

Dominion Virginia Power had to disable the power to half of the building resulting in six apartments being condemned by Newport News Codes and Compliance. Nine adults were displaced as a result.