Dog dies in Hampton house fire

Posted at 1:17 PM, Apr 16, 2015
and last updated 2015-04-16 14:55:34-04

Hampton, Va. – A dog died in a house fire in Hampton on Thursday morning, according to the Hampton Fire Department.

Fire crews responded to a home in the 300 block of West Queen Street around 8:15 a.m.

They found heavy smoke coming from a home due to a fire in the kitchen had spread to the living room. Once firefighters entered the house, they found heavy smoke but no flames. The fire had self-extinguished before they arrived.

Crews were able to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes. As firefighters were searching the home, a large dog was found inside.

The dog was brought out of the home and firefighters attempted to resuscitate the dog but their attempts were unsuccessful.

The homeowner was at a neighbor’s house during the fire. The fire was determined to be accidental and started on the kitchen stove.

The Red Cross is assisting the residents.