Four rescued from balcony in Portsmouth condominium fire

Posted at 10:22 PM, Jun 02, 2015
and last updated 2015-06-03 06:05:36-04

Portsmouth, Va. – Crews had to rescue four people from the balcony of a Portsmouth condominium after a fire broke out inside one of the units there.

The incident happened in the 500 block of South Street inside of the Columbia Place condos on South Street.

Crews arrived on the scene at 9:53 p.m. and they had the fire  under control by 10:21 p.m.

They say 10 adults and 12 children are being helped by the Red Cross right now.

NewsChannel 3 spoke to a man who lives in the condo where the fire started and he says it was caused by his dryer. He was in the shower when it happened.

He says his wife and their four children barely made it out of the apartment before flames burst through the back windows.

The entire building was evacuated.

No one was injured.

This fire is still under investigation.