Pets die in Corolla house fire

Posted at 5:51 AM, Jun 18, 2015
and last updated 2015-06-18 19:30:56-04

Corolla, N.C. - Neighboring homes were damaged by heat and fire during a house fire in Corolla early Thursday morning, according to fire officials.

The fire started shortly after 2:00 a.m. at 560 Trolling Lane.

The residents made it out of the home before firefighters arrived, officials say. No one was injured.

More than one pet died as a result of the fire, according to Currituck County Emergency Management. Neighbors tell NewsChannel 3 that the pets were cats.

Neighbors who were renting homes close to the fire say it was terrifying to wake up to.

"I told my mom we need to get up, we need to get our shoes on in case we need to leave," says Beverly Spada. "We were going to go down to the beach because we couldn't get out of our driveway, it was blocked."

Thursday's fire is the second fire in Corolla in less than a week.

On June 12th, the Brindley Beach Vacation and Sales Center burnt down, which seriously damaged five rental homes nearby. Both the center and the rental homes were vacant at the time.

The owner of the center tells NewsChannel 3 that the fire started in a landscaping mulch pile.

Fire officials do not yet know what sparked that fire or the fire on Trolling Lane.