Fumes reported inside Newport News church after mower hits gas meter

Posted at 5:24 PM, Jul 20, 2015
and last updated 2015-07-20 19:51:25-04

Newport News, Va .- Someone inside of a church on Dresden Drive reported smelling fumes inside of the building and Virginia Natural Gas crews were called out to the scene.

This happened in the 600 block of Dresden Drive.

No one was inside of the church at the time.

Firefighters arrived on the scene at 1:11 p.m.

They say someone was cutting the grass in the area and hit the gas meter.

Crews have shut down this road until the church is cleared.

No other information has been released.