Newport News, Va. – Five residents of a Newport News home were displaced after their home was damaged by fire early Thursday morning.
The Newport News Fire Department was called to the one story residence in the 600 block of Center Avenue at 6:31 a.m.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke showing from a window on the side of the home.
Only resident was home at the time and they were able to get out of the house safely.
Fire crews entered through the front door and found the fire in the bedroom. The fire had extended into the wall and attic space.
The fire was brought until control at 6:52 a.m. It was ruled accidental and attributed to an electrical problem.
The damage is estimated to be approximately $20,000.
The Red Cross will be assisting the residents.