Newport News, Va. – Newport News firefighters put out a fire in an apartment on Hawkeye Court Monday morning.
Crews arrived on scene around 8:15 a.m. and found smoke coming from the roof area of the two-story apartment.
Firefighters say they went inside and found that a fire in the kitchen had extended into the attic space. They were able to contain the fire to one apartment and get the fire under control in 14 minutes.
The entire unit was condemned as a result of the fire. The three residents living inside will be displaced.
The Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the displaced residents.
The fire was ruled accidental.