Unattended cooking causes apartment fire in Hampton

Posted at 9:16 PM, Dec 17, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-17 21:52:51-05

Hampton, Va.- Fire and rescue units responded to a kitchen fire at an apartment complex on Tide Mill Lane Thursday evening.  Heavy smoke and fire was coming from a first floor apartment, all residents were out by the time fire units arrived.

The fire was out in 15 minutes, moderate fire, smoke and water damage was done to the kitchen area.  No injuries were reported.

The apartment has been condemned, and one resident and one dog have been displaced.

Officials say this was caused by careless cooking.