Man burned while renovating home

Posted at 2:53 PM, Dec 17, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-17 15:42:39-05

Newport News, Va. – A man sustained major burn injuries while renovating his house on Rexford Drive.

On December 16 at around 8:15 p.m., 911 received a call about the explosion.  When crews arrived around five minutes later, they found an adult male who was seriously burned on his face and hands.

They began treating the man and took him to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital via helicopter.

Investigators say the man was using a “bullet style” kerosene heather to keep him warm while renovating his house.

An aerosol paint can in the garage of the home was too close to the heater, causing it to explode and ignite. The man received serious flash burn injuries.

The home was minimally damaged.