York County fire caused by space heater

Posted at 2:02 PM, Jan 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-01-26 17:51:40-05

trailer fire

UPDATE: Officials say the fire was caused by children who were playing near the space heater. The paper they were playing with at the time fell onto the heater and the fire started. 

The kids and adults were all inside of the trailer at the time. Some of the kids and adults were able to get out in time. Others were handed out of a window. 

York County, Va. - Neighbors and first responders tore through the wall of a home in order to rescue a woman trapped inside during a fire.

The fire happened at the  Harwood Mills Trailer Park located at 4235 George Washington Highway in Yorktown at about 1 p.m. on Monday.

"I was going down 17 heading home and I saw some flames at the trailer," said Lt. Barry Kopczynski from the Williamsburg Fire Dept. He was off duty at the time, but drove toward the flames to help. "It's just what I do."

A woman was in her bed at the back of the trailer when the fire started. Neighbors used an ax to get to her. At first she was unconscious and not breathing, so a Sheriff's Deputy started doing CPR. That deputy had to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The woman was revived and later airlifted to Sentara Norfolk.

Some bystanders helped fire crews. "A lot of the neighbors need a lot of the credit," said Lt. Kopczynski. "It could've been a lot worse."

Officials say another victim from the home was taken to the hospital for cuts and smoke inhalation.

Newport News Fire Department units assisted units from the York County Fire Department.