Electrical problem sparks fire in Newport News apartment building

Posted at 8:48 AM, Feb 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-24 10:24:32-05

Newport News, Va. – Newport News Fire Department crews were sent to an apartment fire in the 500 block of Big Forrest Court early Wednesday morning.

That’s in the Forrest Pines Senior Community.

A newspaper delivery person called 911 at 5:56 a.m. reporting flames coming from the third floor balcony of the building.

When firefighters arrived on scene at 6:00 a.m., they were able to bring the fire under control in about 15 minutes.

One person was treated on scene for smoke inhalation. No firefighters were injured.

There is no damage estimate at this time but the apartment was condemned due to the damage.

The cause of the fire was attributed to an electrical problem.