Norfolk, Va. – Amtrak announced Wednesday that they have extended and expanded their pets program, now allowing customers on trains that serve Virginia to travel with small cats and dogs.
Amtrak’s Northeast Regional line serves Norfolk, Newport News and Richmond. Additionally, the Silver Star and Silver Meteor travel daily between New York City and Miami, with a stop in Richmond. The Palmetto travels daily between New York City and Savannah, Ga., with a stop in Richmond. The Crescent travels daily between New York City and New Orleans and includes stops in Lynchburg and Charlottesville
Customers must be aware of the guidelines before booking a trip with a pet:
- Passengers must book their ticket by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL or at a staffed station.
- The fee is $25 to travel with furry friends.
- Only one small cat or dog and one carrier per passenger.
- Pets in carriers must weigh 20 pounds or less.
- Pets must be placed under a passenger’s seat at all time during trip.
- Trips with pets may not exceed seven hours in length.
Amtrak’s pet travel program launched in October 2015. Since then, more than 2,700 pets have traveled with their human companions along the Amtrak Northeast Corridor.
Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. were the top departure cities.