TV set to blame for overnight garage fire in Portsmouth

Posted at 8:59 AM, Feb 24, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-24 08:59:14-05

Portsmouth, Va. – A detached two-story garage behind a home in the 100 block of Mt. Vernon Avenue in Portsmouth was damaged by fire early Wednesday morning.

Crews were called to the scene around 3:00 a.m.

Chief Hoffler with Portsmouth Fire-Rescue says the fire started on a workbench and was caused by a small TV that was plugged in. It was ruled accidental.

The building sustained moderate fire and smoke damage.

No one was injured.