Three displaced by fire in Norfolk duplex

Posted at 10:58 AM, Mar 07, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-07 10:58:11-05

Norfolk, Va. – Three people were displaced by a fire that damaged a duplex in the 5800 block of Chesapeake Boulevard on Sunday, March 6th.

Norfolk Fire-Rescue units responded to the home just after 10 p.m. and reported smoke coming from the two-story building.

A man standing outside told firefighters that he was in bed when he woke up and saw smoke in the house. He and all the other residents were able to escape the home safely.

When firefighters entered the home, they found flames and sparking coming from an electrical outlet. Smoke had filled the unit and heat conditions were becoming intense.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and contain it to the area of origin.

Due to the fire and smoke damage, the unit is uninhabitable at this time.

During their investigation, Firefighters discovered an electrical extension cord with multiple devices plugged into the cord.

The cause of the fire was accidental due to the overloaded electrical wiring. Three adults were displaced by the fire and they declined assistance from Red Cross.

There were no working smoke alarms inside the duplex.