Friend of murdered Elizabeth City teen: ‘She’s just covered in blood, head to toe’

Posted at 5:39 PM, Mar 16, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-16 17:39:09-04

Elizabeth City, N.C. – A vigil is being held Wednesday night to remember an 18-year-old girl stabbed to death in Elizabeth City Sunday.

Friends and family are planning to gather at the Waterfront Park in Elizabeth City around 5 p.m.

Summer Faith Waaga was killed Sunday morning at a home on Butlers Lane.

Morgan Lynn McDonald, 17, from Camden, N.C. is charged with first-degree murder in her death. She’s being held in the Albemarle District Jail.

Wednesday, NewsChannel 3 spoke with a friend of both girls who was there when it all happened.

Wyatt Dail says he and Summer had spent the night with other friends at the house on Butlers Lane after watching movies.

The next morning, he says McDonald, whom he had previously dated, came to the house upset.

“Morgan comes in there and starts asking me all kinds of questions, asking me why I didn't go pick her up the other day and why I’m hanging out with Summer,” said Dail.

At that point, the two girls started arguing.

“Morgan walks out of the room and goes in the room Summer’s in, and then I heard some commotion so I got up to see what happened, and Summer comes up to me and she's just covered in blood, head to toe,” Dail said.

Dail says he tried to get Summer in a car to get to the hospital but realized they weren’t going to make it.

“The neighbors called the police. They were out on the porch.  I looked around in her car to try to find something to stop the blood. I grabbed a t-shirt and she had a pretty bad cut or wound on her neck, so I tied it around there and I was pulling it as tight as I can, trying not to choke her,” Dail said.

Police and medics arrived and took Summer to Sentara Albemarle Medical Center where she was pronounced dead at 12:09 p.m.

According to Dail, McDonald had been having problems within the past month.

“She was telling me that her thoughts were scaring her and she didn't feel okay and she thought she needed help,” said Dail. He says he thought she was planning to leave Sunday to get help out of state.

We reached out to McDonald in jail but she declined our request for an interview. She’s due back in court for a probable cause hearing on March 31.