News

Actions

Dogs revived after Newport News house fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 12:40 PM, Mar 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-23 13:00:15-04

Newport News, Va. – Firefighters rescued and revived two dogs from a house fire Wednesday morning.

Crews were called to the 200 Block of Louise Drive around 9:45 a.m. by a neighbor.

Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the eaves of a one-story home.

Firefighters found two unconscious dogs inside the home and carried them outside to medics.

The medics put oxygen masks on the dogs and began vigorously trying to stimulate them to breathe again. Both dogs soon began breathing on their own and were able to get up on their own.

Firefighters contained the fire to the kitchen and adjacent eating area but smoke damage was heavy throughout the home, causing it to be condemned.

The preliminary damage was estimated to be around $30,000. Two adults and two children were displaced.

Related: Wednesday was also National Puppy Day. Click here to see photos viewers submitted of their furry friends.