RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia State Police confirmed the identity of the suspect who shot Trooper Chad P. Dermyer Thursday afternoon at the Greyhound bus station in Richmond.
Two others were also injured during the incident.
The suspect, 34-year-old James Brown III of Aurora, Ill. had an extensive criminal background.
Former charges against Brown include:
- Attempted murder/intent to kill
- Aggravated battery with firearm
- Aggravated discharge of a firearm
- Failure to obey police
- Resisting a corrections officer
- Felony possession of a weapon
- Domestic battery
- Aggravated battery of a pregnant woman
- Aggravated battery of an unborn child
- Numerous drug charges
Our sister station, WTVR CBS 6, talked to his aunt in Aurora. Edith Brown helped raise Brown and had allowed him to stay with her until December, when she says she told him he had to leave.
She said, "He always liked the criminal side."