Newport News, Va. – A 37-year-old Newport News man has been arrested and charged for a reported rape that occurred on Monday, April 18.
Police say they were called to the 1600 block of Peterson Place around 2:45 a.m. that morning in reference to a person with a firearm and a stun gun. The person who called police told them she had been raped by a man that she knew.
The woman said she had been visiting 37-year-old Vincent Leon Carter at his house when he assaulted her with the stun gun and forcibly sexually assaulted her. After the sexual assault, the victim was able to run from home, but Carter chased her with a gun before returning back to his home.
The victim was transported to a local hospital where she was treated and released.
Meanwhile, officers attempted to make contact with Carter, but their attempts were unsuccessful. Officers remained at his residence until warrants were secured and he was taken into custody around Noon.
Carter has been charged with one count each of abduction, rape, sodomy, brandishing a firearm, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, attempt aggravated assault and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
He remains in the Newport News City Jail.
The case remains under investigation by the NNPD Special Victims Unit.