NORFOLK, Va. – Norfolk Fire-Rescue crews responded to an apartment fire in the 2100 block of Pretty Lake Avenue on Wednesday afternoon.
Crews arrived at 4:23 p.m. and saw smoke coming from the third floor of a three story apartment building.
Firefighters went into the building and saw the fire in the kitchen. They were able to quickly extinguish the fire and contain it to the kitchen area of the apartment.
The unit had major smoke damage. The person living in the apartment was alerted by a smoke alarm and got out of the building safely.
The fire was deemed under control at 4:30 p.m. The adjacent units were not damaged.
The apartment unit is uninhabitable at this time. The property manager will be helping the resident.
Officials say the fire was caused by unattended cooking.