News

Actions

No reported injuries in Smithfield house fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:34 PM, Jun 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-01 21:03:32-04
(Photo: Smithfield Volunteer Fire Department)

(Photo: Smithfield Volunteer Fire Department)

SMITHFIELD, Va. – Firefighters battled a two-story house fire at 222 Astrid Street.

Dispatch received reports of the fire around 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the house. They discovered the fire was on the second floor and attic of the home.

Everyone in the home was able to escape safely. There have been no reported injuries.

Deputy Chief Jerry Hackney from Smithfield Fire says the fire started in the kitchen and was caused by careless cooking.

Two people will be displaced. Both are getting help from the Red Cross.