News

Actions

Four treated, three taken to hospital after chemical leak at College of William & Mary

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 6:00 PM, Jul 13, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-14 11:53:46-04

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. – The Williamsburg Fire Department responded to a chemical exposure at the College of William & Mary on Wednesday.

Several people were hospitalized after being exposed to chlorine due to a broken pipe at Zable Stadium.

The incident started when a construction crew working on the stadium discovered the chemicals.

Four people were treated and three people were taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries as a precaution.

A spokesperson for the college says the leak is contained and the construction site at the stadium has been evacuated.

As of Thursday morning, fire and HazMat crews completed their cleanup of the spill. The room where the spill occurred will undergo some additional cleaning and the immediate area will remain restricted for the time being. Otherwise, campus and access are back to normal.