Improperly discarded smoking materials cause fire in Virginia Beach, officials say

Posted at 3:08 PM, Jul 23, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-23 15:31:43-04

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Improperly discarded smoking materials caused a fire in the Broad Bay Estates area of Virginia Beach, according to the Virginia Beach Fire Department.

Crews were dispatched to the 2700 block of Royster Court at around 1 p.m. on Saturday for a reported house fire.

When units arrived, they found fire coming from the back of the home.

Crews extinguished the fire in the back of the home and went inside of the home to check if the fire spread in the walls.

The fire was under control in 15 minutes. No injuries were reported.

According to Virginia Beach Fire Spokesperson William Reynolds, the residents were alterted by a family member who noticed smoke and fire coming from the home.

The homeowners had working smoke detectors in the house.