NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Crews battled a fire in the 2600 block of Wickham Avenue.
Firefighters were called out to the fire at around 11:18 a.m. on Monday.
When crews arrived, they did not see fire or smoke showing from the two story home.
The home owner told firefighters there was an explosion that caused a fire in the electrical panel.
The fire spread up through the walls and into the home's utility room.
The fire was brought under control by 11:39 a.m. and was contained to the back of the house.
An extra engine and medic responded due to heat. Another extra support unit was called to bring extra ice water and Gatorade to firefighters.
Virginia Power disconnected the meter, resulting in the home being condemned.
Five adults have been displaced and are being assisted by the Red Cross.