VIRGINIA BEACH, Va - The Navy's elite Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels, have returned to Hampton Roads.
The team arrived at Naval Air Station Oceana ahead of the NAS Oceana Air Show this weekend, on September 10 and 11.
Commanding Officer and Flight Leader Commander Ryan Bernacchi talked one-on-one with News 3's Todd Corillo ahead of the show Thursday.
For Commander Bernacchi, and many of the team, coming to Virginia Beach is akin to a homecoming of sorts.
"We love it here. Still even have a house here, so we love being back and seeing it from the air and from the cockpit of a Blue Angel jet is something special. When we came in and landed yesterday, I couldn’t believe I was landing here in a Blue Angels jet," he said. "It's really just about showing and showcasing that pride and professionalism and the precision and team work that the Blue Angels represent."
For AME1 Andrew Teague, a member of the Blue Angels crew, returning to Virginia Beach is special as well. NAS Oceana was his first duty station and he met his wife here.
"Everyday doesn’t feel like I’m coming into work. I look forward to coming into work every day, it’s just a fun time, a good atmosphere," Teague told News 3's Todd Corillo. "The best part about it is we get to come to air shows and promote what everyone in the military actually does, promote the guys out there that are doing the hard jobs."
The air show is free and open to the public. For more details about the show click here, and check out the complete schedule below.
Saturday & Sunday
- 10:28 Air Show starts with Bill Leff warm-up in the T-6 Texan
- 10:34 Scott “Scooter” Yoak warms up his P-51 Mustang, “Quicksilver”
- 10:40 Warrior Jet Team Demonstration
- 10:55 Bob Carlton in the Salto Jet Powered Glider
- 11:07 F/A-18C Hornet Tactical Demonstration
- 11:26 The Shockwave Jet Truck
- 11:37 National Anthem Flag Jump
- 11:55 U.S. Navy Air Power Demo
- Basic Fighter Maneuver Demonstration (1 versus 1)
- SH-60 Special Operations Insert
- Air to Ground Demonstration (with pyrotechnics)
- SH-60 Special Operations Extraction
- In-Flight Refueling Demonstration
- POW/MIA Flag Tribute Parachute Jump
- Fleet Flyby
- 12:40 Geico Skytypers Demonstration
- 1:02 F-22 Raptor Tactical Demonstration
- 1:17 USAF Heritage Flight (F-22 and P-51)
- 1:30 Scott “Scooter” Yoak P-51 Mustang Demonstration
- 1:42 Black Daggers Parachute Team
- 1:48 Skydive Suffolk Team Jump
- 1:57 Bill Leff, T-6 Texan
- 2:12 F/A-18F Super Hornet Tactical Demonstration
- 2:33 Rob Holland, MXS-RH
- 2:45 The Shockwave Jet Truck
- 3:00 U.S. Navy Blue Angels
- 4:00 End of Show
Saturday Evening, Beach Blast at 31st Street, Virginia Beach Oceanfront, September 10th
This event is free and open to the public. The Beach Blast begins with a free concert at the 31st Street Stage at 6:30 pm staring the United States Fleet Forces Band, Four Star Edition playing the latest hits. Just as the sun is setting, a U.S. Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet will perform three AFTERBURNER FLYOVERS of the area to highlight the awesome power of Super Hornet. When the sun finally sets, our parachute team will perform a jump onto the beach and then once the jumpers have been presented to the crowd, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels will take the stage to introduce the 2016 Blue Angel team. Music and entertainment continues until the event’s conclusion at 9:30 p.m. Parking is available in the parking structure on the corner of 31st Street and Atlantic Avenue.