SUFFOLK, Va. - A family of five reportedly jumped from a second flood window after their smoke detector alerted them of a house fire.
Suffolk Fire & Rescue crews responded to a house fire at Cypress Manor Apartments in the 20 block of Stacey Drive early Saturday morning.
Units arrived at 2:43 a.m. and saw smoke showing from the two story apartment complex.
The fire was contained to the stove area and was under control 10 minutes after crews arrived.
Three adults and two children were treated by medics at the scene. One adult was taken to Sentara Obici Hospital with minor injuries after jumping out of the window.
The family was displaced due to the fire. The American Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.
According to Suffolk Fire & Rescue officials, the fire was caused due to unattended cooking.