Exclusive: Family desperate for answers after young father killed during Halloween weekend

Posted at 10:19 PM, Nov 14, 2017

NORFOLK, Va. - A young father was gunned down and shot to death days before Halloween.

News 3 spoke exclusively to the man’s mother and family members who can’t understand why this happened.

On October 28, Norfolk Police were called out to the 1300 block of Oklahoma Avenue for a gunshot victim.

Days later, 24-year-old Samad Brailsford was laid to rest.

Vera Pearson, a mother of four, is now experiencing a pain no parent should have to endure - the loss of a child.

She said Samad was her second oldest and she can’t believe he is gone.

“He's always going to hold a special place in my heart and when they took him, they took a piece of me. I miss my son. I just want my son back. It's hard,” said Pearson.

No one has been arrested for the shooting death, which happened around 3 a.m. the weekend before Halloween.

The Bayside High School graduate is described by family members as strong, reliable and funny. The father of two young kids got his HVAC license and was excelling at work.

“Samad was a great kid. I know he's a man but he's a great kid. He was just trying to do the right thing, trying to be a good family man, a good father to his children and love his family. We are just sad and angry that he's gone,” said his great-uncle Teddy Baker.

He comes from a big family and now they are upset, want to know why and want justice for their loved one.

“He had his own relationship with each one of us, so it's affecting us all in different ways,” said his cousin who didn’t want to be identified.

“We might not ever get over this and what we want is closure," said another cousin.

“I know someone has seen and heard something. I know someone knows something about what happened,” said Pearson.

Norfolk Police are asking anyone with information on this case to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887). You could be eligible for a reward.


Man dies from injuries in Norfolk shooting, homicide investigation underway