Woman in custody following deadly shooting at Yorktown Walmart

Posted at 10:09 AM, Feb 15, 2018
and last updated 2018-02-15 22:31:47-05

YORKTOWN, Va. -One person is in custody following a deadly shooting at a Walmart in Yorktown, according to the York-Poquoson Sheriff's Office.

The Walmart is located at 2601 George Washington Memorial Highway.

Authorities say that a Deputy Sheriff was pulling into the store's parking lot around 9:35 p.m. when the deputy witnessed a shooting. The deputy then immediately requested for additional backup.

Deputies say there was a personal dispute between two women. The suspect, 34-year-old Cindy N. Bryant of Hampton, pulled a gun out and the two went outside to the parking lot. The dispute escalated and Bryant shot the victim in the stomach.

Cindy Bryant (Photo courtesy of the Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail Website)

The first deputy was able to immediately apprehend Bryant. Another deputy that arrived at the scene administered first aid to the victim, later identified as 37-year-old Jean Bryant.

Jean Bryant was taken to Riverside Hospital and was taken into surgery. She was pronounced dead around 12:30 p.m.

Jean Bryant was an employee of the optometrist office that leases office space from Walmart but was not a Walmart employee.

Authorities say this was an isolated incident between the two women, who knew each other and were having a personal dispute. The situation began inside the office where Jean Bryant worked.

Cindy Bryant was said to have abducted Jean Bryant from her work area when they both ended up in the front area of the Walmart parking lot near the main entrances. Cindy Bryant then shot Jean several times in the stomach.

The Walmart was closed as deputies investigated the situation but reopened around 2:30 p.m.

Cindy Bryant is currently being held at the Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail, where she is being charged with first-degree murder, abduction and two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. She may face additional charges as the investigation continues.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Download the News 3 app for updates.