VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Two firefighters with the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Department plan to hike 130 miles to being awareness to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
From March 23-29, Suffolk Fire Medic Joe Jarman and Lt. Travis Saunders will be making the 130-mile hike between Neptune’s Park in Virginia Beach and the Virginia State Capitol in Richmond.
The March is their way of kicking off the annual Fill-the-Boot fundraiser, where firefighters flood streets across the country to collect donations for kids and adults with muscular dystrophy, ALS and related neuromuscular diseases.
The two will travel over six days, resting at fire stations along the way and inviting individuals impacted by neuromuscular disease, as well as other firefighters from across the state, to join them in their final “MDA Mile” on the last day.
“I would love for people who are directly affected by muscular dystrophy, family, friends and fire departments to walk that final mile with us. I don’t want it to be about me. I want it to be about us and the cause. We need to show that we are together in this, and we can finish it together," said Joe Jarman.
The "MDA Mile" will be on Friday, March 29 at 12:00 p.m. at the parking lot across from Main Street Train Station, 1500 E Main St, Richmond, Va. 23219.
Over the last 65 years, firefighters across this country have raised more than $650 million dollars for MDA to help fund groundbreaking research and lifesaving and life-changing treatments and therapies.
The route details are as listed:
- March 24 – Neptune Park in Virginia Beach to Chesapeake Station 3 – 1826 Rokeby Ave., Chesapeake, Va. 23320
- March 25 – Chesapeake Fire Station 3 to Suffolk Fire Station 5 – 3901 Bridge Rd., Suffolk, Va. 23435
- March 26 – Suffolk Fire Station 5 to IOW Rushmere Volunteer Fire Station – 5354 Old Stage Hwy, Smithfield, Va. 23430 (Smithfield Fire Department will pick up and take the two to their fire station and return to starting point in the morning)
- March 27 – IOW Rushmere Volunteer Fire Station to Charles City Volunteer Fire Station – 14330 Wilcox Neck Rd., Charles City, Va. 23030
- March 28 – Charles City Volunteer Fire Station to Henrico Fire Station 4 – 8112 Strath Rd., Richmond, Va. 23231 (Henrico Fire will pick up and take to Fire Station 18 to spend the night and bring back in the morning to start their last day)
- March 29 – Henrico Fire Station 4 to Richmond Main Street Train Station parking lot to meet up with families and then to Virginia State Capitol Building at 1000 Bank St., Richmond, Va. 23219