Police chase ends in fatal crash at Midtown Tunnel

Posted at 5:55 PM, Apr 23, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-23 17:58:04-04

PORTSMOUTH, Va. - Two people were in custody after a crash on the Portsmouth side of the Midtown Tunnel heading into Norfolk that happened in April.

Around 4:58 p.m., Chesapeake Police attempted to stop a vehicle for traffic infractions. The vehicle failed to stop, and a pursuit began into the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth through the Western Freeway and Route 164.

As the vehicle began to approach the Midtown Tunnel, it struck a motorcycle from behind. The suspect vehicle continued and just before entering the Midtown Tunnel, the adult male driver and two adult passengers allegedly exited the vehicle.

Police said the adult male motorcyclist died.

The driver avoided apprehension and was picked up by another vehicle. The two adult passengers were apprehended and were in custody.

Police identified the driver who fled from the scene as 18-year-old De’monta Johnson. He was taken into custody Wednesday, and previously faced charges in Chesapeake for felony eluding and multiple traffic infractions.

On December 16, 2019, Johnson plead guilty to the charges of Felony Homicide, Eluding, and Hit and Run. A pre-sentence report was ordered and sentencing is scheduled for March 4.

The passengers were identified as 19-year-old Deamon Richardson, who was charged with Possession of Marijuana, Obstruction of Justice and Leaving the Scene of an Accident and 22-year-old Kei-Airra King, who was charged with Obstruction of Justice and Leaving the Scene of an Accident.

In May, Richardson was sentenced to six months of suspended license for possession of marijuana and his Obstruction of Justice charge was dismissed. In June, King's charge of Obstruction of Justice was nolle prossed.

This pursuit is under investigation, and the crash involving the motorcyclist and the suspect vehicle is being investigated by Portsmouth Police. They will be pursing charges regarding the motorcycle crash on the Western Freeway, officials said.

Stay with News 3 for updates.