SUFFOLK, Va. – Suffolk Fire & Rescue responded to a gas line rupture in the 100 block of Oakdale Terrace in downtown Suffolk Wednesday afternoon.
According to the department, dispatch received a call at 2:55 p.m., and the first units arrived on scene at 2:59 p.m. When crews investigated, they found that contractors in the area had ruptured a gas service line.
Four nearby residences were evacuated, according to Battalion Chief Chuck Knight.
Crews from Virginia Natural Gas will also be responding.
As of 3:42 p.m., the roadway in the immediate area was closed.
This is a developing story. Stay with News 3 for updates.